Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The New, Mod Look

***ok, just a giggle...for this one short hour? We're in the top 100 knitting books a Amazon.com. It's entirely too cool! People I don't know are pre-ordering my wonderful little book. I am so excited!***

Isn't it spiffy? Website and blogs now bear the same banner...text is the same color from here to the gallery - although I may change that shortly. All of the changes I owe to the generosity and possible insanity of Persnickety Knitter, who stayed up until 3 in the morning doing all of this. Why? Well, I asked. She said because she knew it'd never get done if she did not do it herself. She's right. It's the same way I feel about sweeping the dog hair, or gathering glasses in the living room, or refilling the water bowl, or scrubbing the sink, the toilet, the floor. If I don't do it myself, no one else will.
I present, therefore, a list idea which I stole from her blog - although she took it to a higher level than I shall - she added this: [And I, in my ultimate analness, have made things bold and italic if I have tried the technique (like in a swatch or a UFO) but not finished an item with it yet.]

Mark with bold the things you have ever knit, with italics the ones you plan to do sometime, and leave the rest.

Afghan
I-cord
Garter stitch
Knitting with metal wire
Shawl
Stockinette stitch
Socks: top-down
Socks: toe-up
Knitting with camel yarn (handspun even)
Mittens: Cuff-up
Mittens: Tip-down
Hat
Knitting with silk
Moebius band knitting
Participating in a KAL (slacker style)
Sweater
Drop stitch patterns
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
Slip stitch patterns
Knitting with banana fiber yarn (ok, this needs to happen SOON)
Domino knitting (=modular knitting)
Twisted stitch patterns
Knitting with bamboo yarn
Two end knitting
Charity knitting
Knitting with soy yarn
Cardigan
Toy/doll clothing
Knitting with circular needles
Baby items
Knitting with your own handspun
Slippers
Graffiti knitting (knitting items on, or to be left on the street)
Continental knitting
Designing knitted garments
Cable stitch patterns
Lace patterns
Publishing a knitting book
Scarf
Teaching a child to knit (taught a bunch to spin, too)
American/English knitting
Knitting to make money
Buttonholes
Knitting with alpaca
Fair Isle knitting
Norwegian knitting
Dying with plant colors
Knitting items for a wedding
Household items
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items)on two circulars
Olympic knitting
Knitting with someone else's handspun yarn (my first designed sweater out of Girl's handspun.)
Knitting with dpns
Holiday-related knitting
Teaching a male how to knit (I have the perfect one in mind.)
Bobbles
Knitting for a living
Knitting with cotton
Knitting smocking
Dying yarn
Steeks
Knitting art
Knitting two socks on two circulars simultaneously (Well, 2 on one circ)
Fulling/felting
Knitting with wool
Textured knitting
Kitchener BO
Purses/bags
Knitting with beads
Swatching
Long Tail CO
Entrelac
Knitting and purling backwards
Machine knitting (I did not like this at all.)
Knitting with self patterning/self striping/variegating yarn
Stuffed toys
Knitting with cashmere
Darning
Jewelry
Knitting with synthetic yarn
Writing a pattern
Gloves
Intarsia
Knitting with linen
Knitting for preemies
Tubular CO
Freeform knitting
Short rows
Cuffs/fingerless mits/armwarmers
Pillows
Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine
Rug
Knitting on a loom
Thrummed knitting
Knitting a gift
Knitting for pets
Shrug/bolero/poncho
Knitting with dog/cat hair (handspun dirty malamute.)
Hair accessories
Knitting in public

Wow. It appears that if I have not done it, I am willing to try it. Shocking, isn't it?

13 comments:

Kristi said...

Definitely love the new look! I hope someday I can change my blog look out of the cookie-cutter phase.

That list...wow.

sophanne said...

o.k. it cracks me up a little bit that knitting a swatch is on the list. It also cracks me up even more that i tried to knit a sweater without a swatch. Maybe added to the list could be "knitting more than one sweater without a swatch." I bet that one wouldn't get bold or italics! I'm going to have to find out about thrumming-never heard of it!

MelissaKnits said...

thrums are awesome - bits of roving knitted into your mitten or hat for extra warmth. It's effective, although over time the thrums can felt down and not be as nice and fluffy. You can use pencil roving and twist it in every few stitches, carrying it behind like color stranding...but that's really like just plain old colorwork.

Persnickety Knitter said...

I'd like to hear the story behind your graffiti knitting.

Cirilia said...

Hey! I had a crapload of hits yesterday and today so I hope all of them clicked over to buy your book!

Yarnhog said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! Top 100! I know a Top 100 writer! (And it is too writing!) A few more exclamation points for good measure...!!!!!!!!!

MelissaKnits said...

I just commented on the wrong post on my own blog. sad. we're already bumped down...but for one shining moment I was in the top 100, and I am ok with that. Someday we'll be numero uno!

Anonymous said...

melissa, my list is as long as yours and i have 2 attention depraved dogs, 11 and 12 years. if it's not one o the 4 kids it's a dog havig an issue, morning, noon and most often, after midnight. you crack me up!
marcy

Dena said...

What, no gloves!

Peggy said...

Why doesn't Barnes & Noble offer a pre-order on your new book?

MelissaKnits said...

The last time I looked, they did not even have my book at B&N. At least someone does!

MelissaKnits said...

Graffiti knitting (knitting items on, or to be left on the street) :

I knit on the street all the time. Sit on bench, knit.

Peggy said...

Can't wait for your book to come out. I'll have to send you one of the inside the book thingys for you to autograph for me. :)