Monday, August 13, 2007

Coming Clean

I need to confess to an addiction. It's been taking over my life lately. I can't stop. I have no control. It's really very sad, and not like me at all.
It's...it's just this - I've been shopping at The Loopy Ewe. Yes. Paying retail for yarn. I know, I know. But it's not really hurting anyone, is it? How is buying yarn bad? It's GOOD! I am supporting small business. I am helping to keep small dyers and designers in yarn. First it was two Cookie A patterns. Totally justifiable. Just look at them and it's clear that they had to be purchased. Twisted Flower and Gothic Spire. Frankly I am amazed at my ability to keep it to two patterns. They arrived in record time, too, AND I got a refund on my shipping since it was just the two patterns. Then it was a little splurge on some Fleece Artist Seawool and Misty Mountain. That order was a little too pricey and I saw Mr. Wonderful flinch, so I switched to a new policy - one skein or pair at a time. My next order reflected my commitment. One single skein of Fleece Artist. But it just wasn't enough. I needed more. I ordered some Fiesta Boomerang, which came with an adorable blue stitch marker that I immediately stuck on a project. And when it came their was a sample of Apple Laine Apple Pie. And another stitch marker, prettier than before AND IT MATCHES THE YARN!! For-get-it. I am lost. Wool, mohair, silk and nylon?? Washable?? Unbelievably beautiful colorway? (Winter's Dawn). I am lost. I need help. Someone stop me. I am almost a Loopy Groupie. I am...I am...I am confessing here and now that I am powerless before Loopy. And I am loving every minute of it.
Like all good dope dealers, the Loopy Ewe gives you a little sniff of the new stuff to keep you coming back for more. Free gifts in your first five orders, $5.00 for every person who clicks through from the sidebar on your blog, $25 in free yarn once you've ordered $250 (like that won't take long) On the sixth order you become a Loopy Groupie, but by then you're so addicted you're beyond help. I assume at that point I'll need to either succumb to the addiction entirely, and heft my orders back up to the $50 - $60 range, OR stick with my once a month or week or day single skein yarn methadone program.
Yesterday Mr. Wonderful and I attended the last day of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen show in Sunapee NH. More about that tomorrow. No pics though. I saw numerous "no photos please" signs so left the camera in the bag for the most part to avoid ruffling feathers. Sad really. How can I promote people if I can't show their work? So there's a post in the experience but it's going to involve a lot of linkage and I don't have time today. But I saw some amazing amazing stuff. Really awesome.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, yes. I have recently become addicted to The Loopy Ewe as well. Two orders in under a week...sheesh. And I am powerless in the face of the sneak-up.

Kristi said...

Oh...my...goodness...

Well, I know what I am doing once I am settled in my new home and the DSL is hooked back up!

I can never resist a yarn color that is called "Adirondack"--makes me think of home.

Mary said...

Yes...Loopy...Loopy takes my money, but sends me pretty pretty yarn in return :)

Yarnhog said...

I have never--let me repeat--never, ever bought a single skein of yarn. Never. It is simply not possible. You can use my line with the husband, if you'd like (so far it seems to be working): "At least it's not heroin!" (I suppose anything more antisocial than yarn would actually work here. Or diamonds. I mean, really, don't you think he'd be more upset if you bought diamonds every other day?)

Peggy said...

Girlfriend, I can't be of any help to you. I'm afraid you may have been a bad influence on me. I primarily only get my new yarn from my LYS, but with your encouragement I might just have to check out Loopy Ewe. I always wanted to be a groupie!!!

Anonymous said...

I swear Sheri totally sprinkles crack onto every skein. I'm out of control. It's been like this for some time now.

Anonymous said...

@Yarnhog:

I once used that "At least its not heroin" line on my sweet man, who quickly quipped, "Heroin would be cheaper!"

@ Melissa:

Oh, Fleece Artist! Must... get... more... hand-dyed...!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the free shipping on orders over $75...it's like shopping at BJ's, more is better.

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe you've finally succumbed to the dark side of internet yarn shopping. ;)

I wonder if the "no photos please" signs had to do with the concern that other people might steal their ideas.

Kathy said...

WOW! I feel so. . .dirty. . . so cheated on. . . .

I cannot believe you ORDERED Boomerang. We CARRY that yarn. Hah! Wait 'til Mr. Wonderful here's that!

MelissaKnits said...

As Girl is my witness I did not know we carried it till after. I am not in the store enough to know, and no one tells me what's new, so how was I to know we carried Boomerang?!?!