Monday, April 23, 2007

Efffective Effektiv

***CONTEST LAST CALL!***
Post a comment to this entry by 8AM EST April 27 and be entered to win a skein of hand-dyed sock yarn - all comments will be entered for the drawing, even if they are not "answers" to the picture-guessing-game!
Come back tomorrow afternoon, Friday, to see if you've won so you can email me your contact info. Oh, and I'll reveal who's knitting, and what. And maybe show you my socks. Or not. Depends on whether I can take them off or not.

This is for Micheal P who posted a comment about the Effektiv cabinets. Blogger does not send me people's emails when they show comments, so I was not able to email him directly. I promise I will put some knitting at the end.So - the shelves. I can tell you for dead certain what NOT to do. Do not attempt to hang them from their tops on the beams in your office. Mr. Wonderful and #1 Stepson tried this. The result was a destroyed cabinet and a big hole in my just-laid laminate flooring. BIG old hole. Like "put a desk over it" hole. There are, however, two hanging over my head at this moment, and they do not appear to be in a hurry to tumble down. Where possible, we used the pre-drilled - and I must say, lovely if they only lined up - holes where possible. Then we measured the wall and made sure our studs were 16 o.c. (which they are, of course, in this lovely home we now inhabit!). Mr. Wonderful marked the inside of the cabinet with a pencil at 16" o.c., and attached L-backets in those locations to the cabinet tops with little screws. Now, in each of the cabinets, one of the pre-drilled
holes did land over a stud. The L-backets are not attractive, but then I don't spend a lot of time with my head inside my cabinets. The result is effective Effektiv for my purposes. I would recommend that you replace the cute little screws that come in L-brackets packages with a longer wood screw, couple of inches would be good, for attaching to the wall. If you're sure you got a stud when putting the screws in, then their load capacity is no different than it would have been if you'd used the "nice" holes. We did contemplate some alternatives, including running a header behind them to screw them in to, but unfortunately there is no recess behind the cabinet to hide it in. This created a whole other set of issues, and we discarded it fairly early on. Having them flush to the wall was essential for me. I have considered running a wall-colored piece of 1x2 the lenght of the cabinets underneath them, screwed into studs, as insurance. I remain undecided!

What...why...what is this???? Any guesses? OK, CONTEST!!! Post a guess to the comments section, and be entered - right or wrong! - in a drawing to be held Friday for one skein of sock yarn. I will post the name of the winner who may then contact me via email with info about where to send said skein. Not sure what I'll be sending yet, but it'll be good, promise!
I don't know where this is going. I went downstairs the other day for something and saw 4 skeins of Charisma (it's all gone, so no link, sorry - just think worsted, vareigated, and I think wool and maybe mohair?) sitting there looking at me. I don't know what I'd planned for it, probably something felted? I sat down and made a quickie swatch and cast on for a . . . well. . . frankly I don't know what. A sweater for certain. For me, probably. Based on my measurements, so it'd make sense if it was for me. And...starting from the bottom. So far there's a turned hem, and some short rows in the back for my . . . booty. Other than that, no idea where we go next. "Up", I guess. I would not expect to see this as a F.O. anytime soon. I have learned that in order for me to be clear-headed and functional as a writer/designer/whatever-er, I need to have some personal knitting going at all times that is unrelated to the "work" knitting. It took me a while to figure this out. Mental Health Knitting. I also have A.D.D. when it comes to projects, I am pretty faithless and need to switch from thing to thing to thing. This could languish in a basket for a year, like Mr. Wonderful's pullover has for, ummm...two years now? But for now this amuses me in off moments when I don't want to think, just knit endless stockinette. I also made progress on my Franklin socks, though not in the original pattern. After hours of staring at it, trying them on and taking them off (another benefit of toe-up!) I decided that the pattern was lost in the yarn and useless, so I switched to K2,P2 rib right there where I was, at the beginning of the gusset increases. It's another perk of being me. I so lack the "rip it out and start over!!" gene espeically on personal projects. Work is different. Fun is FUN and I don't care if my sock gets weird around my toes. Who's gonna know? Me? My shoe? Hey, if the shoe complains, I know where to get more.

11 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I'm giggling at the idea of holding my shoe up and threatening it with: "If you don't like it, there are plenty more where you came from!" I LOVE that variegated yarn--I had to wipe the drool off my chin.

Anonymous said...

The photograph looks to me to be a low-light photograph of someone knitting with circulars and wearing a t-shirt with small photographs across the chest.

Why, I couldn't say.

--sm.

ikkinlala said...

I agree with the above commenter that the photo is of somebody knitting, but I'm guessing it was either taken under a black light or is the result of a Photoshop experiment.

MelissaKnits said...

yes...somebody knitting...but who??

Anonymous said...

thats megan knitting, aint it?

Anonymous said...

Someone is knitting, perhaps at a concert or movie?

Unknown said...

Knitting on a ride at Disney. You know how the lights always turn your shoe-laces and socks purple?

Cirilia said...

It looks like a knitting fetus to me! Oh yeah, and she's knitting with those cool light up needles.

Suzanne said...

It looks like someone knitting in a movie theater. Maybe...?

Anonymous said...

i think it looks like knitting at a movie? or under a blacklight/photoshopped.

--doreen

Anonymous said...

Hmm, could be you or Girl knitting - and since she told me to, I will heretofore refer to her as "Baby Kid"
Sorry I missed the contest!