Sunday, September 17, 2006

Perfectly Normal Chaos


This is my life. I really despise clutter, and the amount of frantic energy working into a project is directly proportional to the amount of chaos and clutter around me. When the garment is done, the clutter fades, everything is tidied back up, and I go back to a more sensible frame of mind and of space. From now until the design process is complete, this is my life. I am shooting for Tuesday afternoon as a clean-up day, when the final plans are in place and I can move on to just knitting the thing. What thing?
This thing. This is Herman the Lenox Swatch. Lenox is a new yarn that I would marry if I could. I love it. Fantastic yarn, well spun, great fiber content, soft, perfect. But the swatch? We are not in love. We may be by the end of things, but this is a truly hated garment, not like Make/Colorful Tracks which I just loved from the beginning. In fact, I hate Herman. But somehow, Herman must become a fair isle-ish pullover by next Monday. This is Herman the Sketch, with two neckline variations, and a looser sleeve than planned. I am thinking shaped pullover with a 3/4 sleeve. Neckline to be determined.

This is a completely unfinished (unblocked, unlined, un-ready to go) bag in a new yarn, Colrain. I also adore this yarn. I actually wanted a bag because I have a sweater in mind, but time being what it is, and the yarn being where it is, I must content myself with the bag for now. It has tencel in it which gives it a lovely shine that's perfect for stitch definition; think cables, twisted stitches, K/P combinations. I love it. Soft as a baby's butt. This is the bag pattern. Too funny for words! Eventually the bag will be finished and the pattern written properly, all by Thursday. Also on tap for Thursday is a Stripey Sock, in Valley Yarns new superwash which I also love, love, love! It is everything you could ask for in a superwash. Soft with a satiny feel, lovely bounce, great stitch definition. In fact, if things keep up, I may never need to buy any yarn but Valley Yarns ever again. All I need now is a superwash fingering weight for socks and baby goods. Solid colors only, none of this striping stuff, with a touch of nylon for durability and long wear. Sorry there's no links to the yarns at Webs website, but this is how new they are; they are not even posted yet. In fact, the ink is not dry on the ball bands, and the seams on the bags are not cooled from sealing. We're talking new-new. Brand new baby new.

Things here have been nutty, which is fast becoming typical. We had such a long run of peace and quiet that the last couple of years have been shocking; gradually increasing in drama and excitement, and I wish it were all over. In fact, I cannot wait until it is all over. I prefer a life in which I need no vacation because it feels like one every day to this constant intensity. First the "investment property" was cleaned and prepared for sale, which took our first potential vacation. At last it was on the market, then it was under deposit and things were looking up - it'd close in time for us to go away, maybe! And then the sale fell through. As the sale was falling through, Girl's brakes failed on her way to school, our truck needed a bunch of work, our septic had a tantrum involving unusual odors and products filling up the basement shower pan, I got some not so great medical information (nothing life-threatning, just life-adapting, and I hate change). I am holding onto sanity by designing ugly F.A. swatches from a cashmere blend and cute little cabled bags and striped superwash socks. Luckily one of the suggested life adaptations involves a lot of sweat in the form of walking on the treadmill, biking more inside and out, and lifting weights. This is a good thing. Pain is distracting. The variety is also excellent, it prevents boredom. And being told that you can have some control over a disease process by life choices is really amazingly liberating. I CAN choose. Most people can't. Exercise calms the mind and soothes the soul. We did a short ride (for him - long for the beginner in spite of the hours on the trainer with Good Old Coach Troy) yesterday with hills and cars and all the other unexpected things a road ride has to offer, except mechanical failure. Some guy in a mini-van was so close to me that if I'd stuck my elbow out I would have contacted his vehicle. Mr. Wonderful tells me that these people are everywhere, and he has a special name for them which I cannot repeat. It is a naughty name, a potty-mouth name, but it fits. I sense that cyclists are a source of amusement for some folks in cars. "Hmmm...how close can I get?" I understand the frustration of a driver confronted with bikers in the middle of the road. But I wasn't in the middle of the road, I was on the white line, there were no other cars coming, there's no breakdown lane...and no excuse for the proximity of that car to my elbow. It made me angry. Not scared. Not sad and sorry. Mad as H-E-Double Hockey Sticks. I wanted to chase the guy down and yell in his face. He threatened my new baby.

So now Girl's car is fixed, and the truck is running, and the septic is happy and clean, and I am adapting to lifestyle changes and assorted expenses I had not anticipated, and the "investment property" is back on the market with a new agency. Life is good. God does not send more than you can handle. It just seems like it some days. This week it's seemed a lot like God was confused about who He was handing stuff out to, and just got stuck over our names and kept doling out little bits of insanity. He's got a plan and all, but somedays I wish He'd share, just enough so I know there's a point. So I move forward, praising in the face of the dishes of trouble. We spent yesterday at the I.P. washing windows, and scrubbing walls and dusting and mowing and all of that. There is an open house today. I am prayerful, and hopeful, and believing that I will have a buyer by this evening.

No comments: