Monday, May 20, 2013

Whole New World

Tonight I enacted phase one of the Chicken Unification Project. I cut a hole in the wall between the layer babies and the big birds. Tomorrow I will add some framing and a little door that latches. That way if the youth become obstreperous, I can give the grown-ups privacy. It will be a few more days before I let them all outside together.


 These things can go well or they can go badly, depending on the birds involved. A too-forward young bird can put himself at risk of life and limb by pecking off more than he can reasonably "chew". 


But a little girl might think more about the possibilities and take her time before rushing in.


There's usually a little awe on both sides.


Well. Maybe more awe on one side than the other...there's a lot to look up to when you're only four inches tall.


I left the babies to their adjusting and took a look about; just a short ramble in the yard. I love pansies and johnny jump-ups. I find them unreasonably cheerful. They never fail to make me smile.


I especially love these little peach and lavender ones.


When I headed back into the "barn", I saw that everyone had discovered the door, and all were jockeying for position. Things look to be going very well, and by morning maybe they won't need a door that latches. This would be good because I need to clean out the meat birds barn. AND I am not sure I have the right scraps to make a frame for a door. And I really don't relish a 7am trip to town for lumber scraps.


When my mother died, Katy's Tribe gave me a gift certificate for a memorial plant from Wanczyk Nursery. I had a really hard time deciding what to get. I went last year in search of something, but came away empty handed. Two weeks ago Gene and I went back, and I found exactly what I wanted. A very mature plain old lilac; Syringa vulgaris

 

And already it has blooms. My mother loved spring things; forsythia, lilac, and especially lily of the valley which grow in abundance around my front door already. The blooms are a token of good things to come in the ensuing years, I think.

Finally, last but not at all least, on Saturday we enhanced our brood by 6. One did not survive, but here are 5 sweet tiny Ameraucanas who one day will grow big and lay lovely blue-green eggs! 


I love spring. It brings new life, promise and hope. Hope is almost my most favorite thing of all! 

2 comments:

Kayten said...

Sounds like you're really settling in. Lovely photos! Occasionally I miss having chickens, but we have a lot of weasel and mink around, so I leave the heartbreak to others.
Hope I get to see you at Cummington this weekend.

Katy said...

Nice lilac - glad you finally got to use the gift certificate!

What are those birds with the fabulous mohawks?